Friday, October 19, 2012

Pilates on Tour Day One

There is really no better thing for the spirit of a Pilates Instructor than attending a Pilates On Tour Conference. Even better, attending POT Chicago for the 4th year in a row. The first year, I was just excited to have to continuing education opportunities that I didn't have to fly out of town for.  From day one, everyone there was completely embraced by the leaders at Balanced Body.  The second year, I got to know some of the people from the previous year a little better. Last year, I felt like my network had at least doubled, and this year, walking in, it was just lovely to see just about everyone. I no longer had that insecurity of hoping that all of these people whom I greatly admire would remember me.

At lunch today, Nora put it best. The great thing about POT is that you are with your "peeps." You're with people who understand like no one else why you care if the serratus is firing.

My workshop today was on Stenosis and Sponylolisthesis with Karen Clippenger. If you haven't taken a workshop with Karen, do it! She incorporates all of the things I crave most as a Pilates and Anatomy Nerd: a thorough lecture on the condition that we are working with, and a clear practical with logical progressions. Even better is having Karen, Naomi, and Dallas on hand to help you really understand the work on your own body and the cueing on another body.

The day was topped off with a wonderful public conversation with Julian Littleford, Troy McCarty, and Alan Herdman. Hearing them talk made me realize that I am journeying on the right path because while some of my landmarks are very different from theirs, there are so many similarities. Here are some morsels of wisdom I gleaned from the gentlemen tonight. (In no particular order, and not chronological...my folder is doodletastic.)

"As a Pilates teacher, you have to like people."-Alan :)
"They can feel it if it's just money to you."-Julian
"If you're burnt out after teaching for five years, there's something wrong."-Alan
"I've been teaching for 25 years and every day I go in with this blank canvas and say I'm going to paint this beautiful picture with my clients."-Troy
On feeling spiteful when a trainer leaves to open their own studio and evolving that emotion into a positive insight, "For us, healthy competition is a good thing."-Alan
On opening a studio and being stressed about getting and keeping clients, what he would tell his future self: "Patience. Let them go. They'll come back to you."

And my favorite:

"The day you stop learning, you're finished as a teacher."-Julian


So for today....I am still totally a teacher.


Super exciting day. I hope I can sleep tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment